Saturday, November 13, 2010

Wednesday November 10, 2010

Elli is going over to Amy’s house after work, which is just as well because this evening I found myself completely drained from work and angry at the world. I ended up shutting off my phone and not talking to either Trish or Renee. Sometimes I just need alone time without obligation and instead turned my attention to a film that I had wanted to see for some time.

I watched “I Stand Alone” a 1998 French drama film, written and directed by Gaspar Noé, and starring Philippe Nahon, Blandine Lenoir, Frankye Pain and Martine Audrain. The original French title is Seul contre tous, which means "Alone against all". The film focuses on several pivotal days in the life of a bitter former butcher as he rages against the world. The film was the director's first feature-length production, and is a sequel to his 1991 short film Carne. Though not as visually or emotionally dynamic as Irreversible or the Enter the Void I enjoyed I Stand Alone” because of it’s cinematic simplicity, psycho-sexual determinism and the interior monologue that is both profound and psychotic. It is a movie about sex and death but also about the inherent rage, violence, pride and sexual drive that is seated deep within the male psyche. The film explores a forbidden area of the male gender that is often denied or glossed over, one that is surrounded by myth and taboo. Gaspar Noé, creates a film that exposes the hideously entertaining wound for all to see.

I Stand Alone is definitely not for everyone. If the movie TAXI DRIVER was too much for you then you will want to skip I Stand Alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment